BBC Radio 2 and The World Famous BBC Concert Orchestra Presents CLASSIC ROCK ANTHEMS

The World Famous BBC Concert Orchestra and BBC Radio 2 proudly return to MALTA with Classic Rock Anthems – brought to you by VisitMalta.

After wowing audiences last year with “It’s a Kind of Magic – The Queen Story” the BBC Concert Orchestra is bringing an epic evening of the world’s classic rock and pop anthems to the spectacular Granaries in Floriana.

On the 9th of July, the concert will feature an astonishing 20 number one hits and an awe-inspiring countdown to the best selling artists of all time. You will hear classic rock and pop anthems delivering feel good, fall in love, get mad, get sad, get even songs, that power us through, lift us up and bring us together.

Under the direction of the renowned conductor Mike Dixon, the 60-piece BBC Concert Orchestra, plus dynamic rock band, and cast of outstanding star singers Gloria Onitiri, Laura Tebbut, Tim Howar, Ricardo Afonso, Annie Skates, David Combes, Emma Kershaw, Lance Ellington and Tony Vincent, will perform classics by The Rolling Stones, Queen, David Bowie, Prince, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, The Beatles, Tina Tuner, Fleetwood Mac, Cher, Elvis – and more!

Read more: https://www.mta.com.mt/en/news-details/363
Plácido Domingo to accompany Joseph Calleja at 25th Anniversary Concert

Opera legend Plácido Domingo will be Joseph Calleja’s special guest at the Maltese tenor’s 25th anniversary concert being held in the spectacular surroundings of Fort Manoel in Malta on July 26.

Acknowledged as one of the finest-ever singers, Domingo has almost reached 4,100 performances in a stellar career that has made him a household name both as a tenor and a conductor.

Calleja, who has just completed the recording of his sixth album for Decca Records on the back of a critically acclaimed run in New York, said:

“The Maestro needs no introduction. His talent, stamina and love for the opera world are revered the world over and what I can promise is that this will be a concert to remember. Placido and I have sung together abroad, but to perform with him in my homeland is a dream come true. My first big break in opera came in the 1999 edition of his annual Operalia competition and I have wanted to get him over to Malta ever since.”

Domingo said: “I am very happy and proud of Joseph’s beautiful artistic trajectory with his generous voice and admirable extension. I gladly welcome his invitation to participate in this concert to commemorate the first quarter century of his career! I was privileged to share the stage with Joseph on two memorable Simon Boccanegra productions and now I am thrilled at the chance of making my Malta debut with him, in his homeland!”

The Maltese tenor continues to grace the world’s leading opera houses and concert halls in his silver jubilee year which will see him perform in France, Germany, the UK and Australia among others.

Domingo, whose repertoire encompasses more than 150 roles, has continued uninterrupted his extraordinary artistic career for more than half a century and this year, after having sung in Madrid, Moscow, Paris, Palermo, Salzburg, Versailles, Buenos Aires and Budapest, he is expected to return to Italy, Austria, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Slovenia, Mexico and South America.

The fitting venue for this spectacular concert, which will also feature the Malta Philharmonic Orchestra, was originally built by the Knights in 1723 to defend Valletta under the patronage of Portugese Grand Master Manoel de Vilhena and underwent meticulous restoration thanks to Midi plc.

Joseph Calleja – 25th Anniversary Concert is being produced by Mint Media with the support of the Malta Tourism Authority, The European Foundation for Support of Culture, Bank of Valletta and Midi.

MaltaTourism Authority Chairman Gavin Gulia said: “When we speak of Maltese Cultural Ambassadors who – through their exceptional talent – give visibility to the Maltese Islands and their endless beauty, one cannot but not think of The Maltese Tenor Joseph Calleja. It gives us great pleasure, as Malta Tourism Authority to support Joseph’s 25th Anniversary Concert, which this year will be held in one of the island’s most beautiful locations, making the concert even more unique. Events such as this one continue to add versatility to the Maltese Islands, by enhancing the quality of the tourism product, reaffirming once more that there truly is something for everyone in Malta.”

European Foundation for Support of Culture President Konstantin Ishkhanov said:  “The EUFSC has been collaborating with Joseph Calleja for quite some time now, both nationally and around the world, and we are always very proud and honoured to team up with him, especially for such a special occasion as this. He is undoubtedly one of the best standard-bearers of Malta’s cultural heritage, and I am certain that this event will prove, once again, to be yet another memorable triumph.”

BOV CEO Rick Hunkin said: “The Bank’s support for the annual Joseph Calleja concert encompasses Bank of Valletta’s continued support of the local arts and culture scene as part of its Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) commitment. This annual concert is back and will showcase Malta’s top talents, along with other local and international stars while a large number of children will get the opportunity to perform alongside these great artists, and for some, their first opportunity on a stage through the BOV Joseph Calleja Children’s Choir. The concert has also been an opportunity to showcase the talents of the scholars of the BOV Joseph Calleja Foundation, the Bank’s collaboration with the Maltese Tenor to assist talented local artists to fulfil their potential and become Malta’s future stars.”

Tickets are available from www.showshappening.com

Article credits: https://www.mta.com.mt/en/news-details/356
Joseph Calleja 2021: Sanremo 70 years of dreams

Joseph Calleja’s 2021 concert, set for September 4, celebrates the 70th anniversary of Italy’s most iconic music festival, Sanremo.

Seven decades of history will be celebrated in the form of a musical fairy tale with Malta’s world-famous tenor Joseph Calleja, the Malta Philharmonic orchestra and the legendary rhythm section of Sanremo, conducted by Maestro Leonardo De Amicis.

Boasting numerous television collaborations and an endless repertoire with Italian talent, De Amicis will lead a Calleja edition featuring past participants Fiorella Mannoia, Michela Zarillo and NEK. X Factor Malta star Destiny will also join the headline.

“Sanremo 70 years of dreams”, produced by Eurovisione Eventi and Palco R, in collaboration with Mint Media, is a spectacle of musical theatre written by Paolo Logli, screenwriter, television author and theatre writer.

Sanremo’s immortal notes from its protagonists, including songs that have become famous classics since their debut in Sanremo, will grace the Granaries in Floriana.  Limited tickets are available exclusively and attendance will only be allowed for people in possession of a vaccination certificate. A maximum six-person bubble segmentation will be implemented in all areas. The organisers said this is a ticketed seated event in line with the latest covid regulations.

Read the full article here: https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/joseph-calleja-2021-sanremo-70-anni-di-sogni.894688
Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja announces that annual concert will take place in September

The celebrated Maltese tenor Joseph Calleja revealed the exciting news that the annual summer concert is going to take place on September 4th. Referencing the local situation when it comes to COVID-19, the tenor assured that all the appropriate measures will be taken, and that the concert will be taking place outside in the open-air. The tenor did not divulge who his guests will be, but mentioned that the information will be shared soon.

 

Let's go that extra mile!
Colours of Malta Quality Assured